Thursday, May 29, 2008

A face for all occasions


If you ever find yourself in a crowd and then find me constantly starring at your face, don’t be surprised. I have this terrible fascination with faces. It all started when I was still very much younger. To some extent, the English language is actually to be blamed for this problem.

The first time I heard my father call someone a faceless creature, I was astonished. On the face I could see two ears, nostrils and a mouth but I spend hours figuring out whether these were real or plastic.

Then, my mother comes along and describes her best friend is a two-face. I thought I was beginning to have a visual problem because no matter how much I starred at my mother’s best friend’s face, I could still only see one.

Then, I heard my father say that when he comes face to face with his boss, there’ll be fireworks. I spent the whole mourning in the bathroom starring at the mirror. I was face to face with my self, but I never saw any fireworks. Instead, I had to clean the mirror.

At school, I heard the teacher say that the principle has no skin over his face. During the break I went to the office and starred at him. I was hoping to see his skull gaping at me. Rather, he sent me back from the office with six of the best.

When I explained my problem to my sister, she said I should stop taking things at face value. I was even more confused but then what does she know. After all, she spends most of her time having a face-lift.

No comments: